About Co. Cork
Steeped in history, Ireland's second city is fast gaining a reputation as one of Europe's hippest. Built on islands in the River Lee, the many bridges give the city a continental feel which sites elegantly with the Georgian grandeur of its successful past.
Things to see and do
- Old Midleton Distillery - Visit the world's largest Pot still holding 32,000 gallons of whiskey.
- Cork City Gaol - Experience the sights, sounds and smell of life on the wrong side of the law during the 19th century.
- Crawford Municipal Art Gallery - An elegant former customs house built in 1724, now home to one of Ireland's finest public art collections outside of Dublin.
- St Finbarrel's Cathedral - Its three spires are one of Cork's main landmarks whilst the interior lives up to the beautiful exterior.
- Day trip to Cobh - Visit the idyllic seaside town of Cobh and learn about its fascinating links with Irish emigration and the famous ships that visited its port - including the Titanic. All this with a magnificent Cathedral dominating views of the town.
- Explore the English Market, a covered food market dating from the early 17th century that specialises in tempting local produce such as smoked salmon and ballycotton potatoes.
- A visit to Blarney Castle to kiss the Blarney Stone is a must for all visitors to Cork.
- To enjoy a peaceful day away from the bustling city take a train direct to Fota House and Gardens or visit the Fota WIldlife Park...
- Take a trip out to West Cork to experience some fantastic whale & dolphin watching on the Irish Coast. Whales, dolphins, seals and seabirds are often spotted on this coastline of outstanding natural beauty.
Co. Cork Blog posts
From Ireland's most popular travel bloggers
13th June 2014 by Wandering OnPhoto Essay: Driving to Mizen Head; Ireland’s most southerly point
From Cork City to Mizen Head, Ireland’s most southerly point, is a great scenic drive, taking in the beautiful coastline, small villages and barren landscapes. Ireland on a sunny day is tough to beat and with the fantastic Irish summer continuing, we had a day, and a car to make the trip, so off we went....
Weather in Co. Cork
Our month-by-month guide to the weather and climate in Co. Cork