From mountainous landscapes to baroque palaces, Austria is an elegant country for both nature lovers and urban explorers. Visitors can ski the Alps in winter and cycle along the edge of the Danube River in summer. Vienna and Salzburg offer many historic and artistic delights, as well as a rich musical tradition.
Must see and do
- Historic centre of Vienna - The capital of Austria is packed with medieval and baroque architecture, grand monuments and elegant parks.
- Schonbrunn Palace and Park - Just outside Vienna, this 1,441-room Rococo palace was the summer residence of the Habsburg dynasty.
- Mozarts Geburtshaus - In Salzburg, the home of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is now a museum devoted to his life, family and musical achievements.
- Kunsthistorisches Museum - Vienna’s Museum of Fine Arts holds the stunning collection of the Habsburg royal family, in particular portraiture and armour.
- St Stephen’s Cathedral - The 12th-century Romanesque and Gothic church is Vienna’s most important religious building.
- Music - Let Vienna, the ‘City of Music’, dazzle you with nightly performances of Mozart and ‘waltz king’ Johann Strauß.
- Attend an elegant Viennese ball during the carnival season.
- Experience the Sound of Music for yourself, on a tour of the film’s locations in and around Salzburg.
- Discover Austrian folk and baroque music at the annual, world-famous Salzburg Festival.