Find and compare the best Austria holiday dealsAustria
From mountainous landscapes to baroque palaces, Austria is an elegant country for both nature lovers and urban explorers. Visitors can ski the Alps in winter and cycle along the edge of the Danube River in summer. Vienna and Salzburg offer many historic and artistic delights, as well as a rich musical tradition.
Must see and do
- Historic centre of Vienna - The capital of Austria is packed with medieval and baroque architecture, grand monuments and elegant parks.
- Schonbrunn Palace and Park - Just outside Vienna, this 1,441-room Rococo palace was the summer residence of the Habsburg dynasty.
- Mozarts Geburtshaus - In Salzburg, the home of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is now a museum devoted to his life, family and musical achievements.
- Kunsthistorisches Museum - Vienna’s Museum of Fine Arts holds the stunning collection of the Habsburg royal family, in particular portraiture and armour.
- St Stephen’s Cathedral - The 12th-century Romanesque and Gothic church is Vienna’s most important religious building.
- Music - Let Vienna, the â€˜City of Music’, dazzle you with nightly performances of Mozart and â€˜waltz king’ Johann StrauÃŸ.
- Attend an elegant Viennese ball during the carnival season.
- Experience the Sound of Music for yourself, on a tour of the film’s locations in and around Salzburg.
- Discover Austrian folk and baroque music at the annual, world-famous Salzburg Festival.
Things to do in Austria
Austria Blog posts
From Ireland's most popular travel bloggers
20th December 2022 by Eat Sleep Breathe TravelAuthentic Gluhwein recipe from an Austrian chef
I’ve made it no secret about how much I love European Christmas Markets, especially those in Germany and Austria. I have a million reasons why but I’d be lying if I said that the gluhwein wasn’t one of them. Which is funny, because back in 2011, when I first visited European Christmas markets, I didn’t like wine. But gluhwein was different. I loved the spicy sweetness of it. I loved the festive little mugs that it came in. I loved that it was the best go-to for warming up and that...
16th December 2022 by Eat Sleep Breathe Travel8 festive ways to experience the magic of Vienna at Christmas
It’s the most wonderful time of the year! At least I think so. Christmas time to me is magic, and even though I live in a Canadian city that pretty much guarantees a white Christmas, it’s no secret that during the holiday season, Europe is my favourite place to be. European Christmas markets are my personal heaven and even though I normally hate crowds, I will suck it up if it means I get to browse stall after stall of Santas, snowmen, and villages with a mug of warm gluhwein in my hands....
16th December 2022 by Eat Sleep Breathe TravelThe Salzburg Krampus Run: A unique Christmas tradition
When I was travelling around Europe for the Christmas Markets I expected to see plenty of Santas and maybe a few elves and reindeer. What I didn’t expect to find was a giant, hairy, devil-looking creature known as Krampus; essentially a Christmas demon who has his own celebration called Krampusnacht or Krampus Run. This event takes place in a few spots around Europe, however, one of the best known Krampusnacht events in the Salzburg Krampus Run. ...
Weather in Austria
Our month-by-month guide to the weather and climate in Austria