Pulsing with prosperity Munich revels in its own contradictions. Folklore and age-old traditions exist side by side with sleek cars, designer boutiques and high-powered industry. Despite all of its sophistication, Munich retains a touch of provincialism that visitors will find charming.
Things to see and do
- Pay a visit to the Marienplatz and watch the daily performance of the Glockenspiel, the giant animated clock high in the Neues Rathaus central tower.
- Frauenkirche, the symbol of Munich. Two onion-shaped domes on their matching square towers sating back to 1468.
- Relax with a beer or two and mingle with the locals at the Hofbrauhaus - probably the world's most famous tavern.
- Spend the afternoon at the Nymphenburg Palace and wander in the beautiful gardens and park.
- Mingle with the locals at the Viktualienmarkt, the city's oldest food market that is still its most popular gathering place.
Munich Blog posts
From Ireland's most popular travel bloggers
5th October 2019 by The Daily S'elf24 hours in Munich city guide
Post Oktoberfest, I had a day free to spend in Munich with no plans. When I asked for recommendations on my Instagram story, responses were limited. So I’ve put this 24 hour Munich city guide together. Whether you’re visiting for a city break, heading to Oktoberfest or planning a Bavarian road trip, here are a few ideas for a day or two in Munich....
Weather in Munich
Our month-by-month guide to the weather and climate in Munich